James B. Durham
Jim Durham, the senior member of the law firm, has over 30 years of trial experience and has had an "AV" rating by Martindale-Hubbell for over 20 years. He has been selected annually as a "Georgia Super Lawyer." Mr. Durham is a past President of the State Bar of Georgia, a current member of the Judicial Qualifications Commission of Georgia, and was invited and became a fellow in the America College of Trial Lawyers in 2008. He has been lead counsel in over 100 jury trials and a large number of appellate arguments during his career. Mr. Durham has been involved in multiple areas of civil litigation, including commercial litigation, products liability, medical malpractice defense, personal injury, and insurance coverage disputes.
Throughout his career, Mr. Durham has been involved in product liability defense. He was in trial in the San Juan Dupont Plaza Hotel fire case representing International Elevators, a division of Otis Elevators. The case was tried for over a year. Mr. Durham has been involved in medical malpractice defense work representing physicians and hospitals throughout South Georgia and has tried malpractice cases throughout South Georgia. He is involved extensively in commercial litigation, including trade secret litigation, contractual dispute litigation, partnership/shareholder disputes, covenants not to compete, and tax litigation for corporate clients. During his 30-year career, he has represented numerous insurance companies, including personal injury defense, coverage issues, and first party defense. Mr. Durham has further been involved in direct representation of hospitals and emergency medical services and advising them in the area of healthcare law.
Mr. Durham graduated from the University of Georgia with a B.A. cum laude in 1980. Mr. Durham received his J.D. from the University of Georgia School of Law in 1983. While at the University of Georgia, Mr. Durham was President of the Student Union, President of Gridiron, President of Sphinx Honorary Society, and President of Blue Key Honorary Society. He has been a member of the State Bar of Georgia since his graduation in 1983. He is admitted to practice in all courts in Georgia, including the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Georgia Supreme Court. Mr. Durham is further admitted in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Georgia, the United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Member, Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Member, Georgia Defense Lawyers Association;
- Judicial Qualifications Commission (2004-current)
- State Bar of Georgia (President, 2002-2003; President-Elect, 2001-2002; Treasurer, 1999-2001; Member, Executive Committee, 1996-2004; Board of Governors, 1990-2004; Chairman, Committee on Legislation, 1999-2000; Special Advisory Committee to the Pro-Bono Project; Disciplinary Rules & Procedures Committee; Judicial Procedure & Administration Committee; Organization of State Bar Advertising Committee; Court Futures Committee; State Disciplinary Board Review Panel, Chairman, 1995, Vice Chairman, 1994)
- Chairman, Institute of Continuing Legal Education (2003-2004)
- Trustee, Institute of Continuing Judicial Education (2004-2005)
- Commission on Continuing Lawyer Competency (Trustee, 2004-2008, Chairman, 2008)
- Brunswick-Glynn County Bar Association (President, 1989; Vice President, 1988; Secretary, 1987; Member, Executive Committee, 1986-1990)
- American Bar Association (Member, House of Delegates, 2003)
- Leadership Georgia (1997)
- Brunswick Rotary Club
- Board of Directors of Parent and Child Development Services
- Board of Directors of Youth Estate
Email James B. Durham Phone: (912) 264-1800 Fax: (912) 264-4480
Business Transaction & Advisory Services
Education University of Georgia (B.A., cum laude, 1980; J.D., 1983)
Admissions Georgia, 1983